In the SVA Galleries:
- LAST CHANCE: “Mentors,” an exhibition of work by BFA Photography Department students inspired by their working relationships with key figures in the New York arts community. The 2008-2009 mentors include creative director Fabien Baron, cinematographer and SVA alumnus Harris Savides, New York Times writer Philip Gefter, and photographers Ari Marcoupolis, Sally Gall and Gregory Crewdson, among others. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, through Saturday, April 25.
- LAST CHANCE: Foundation Painting and Photography Exhibition, a juried exhibition of work by first-year students at SVA. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street, and Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, through Saturday, April 25.
Click here for more information about SVA exhibitions.
- Artists Talk on Art Presents: Curator’s Choice. ATOA’s annual artist slide competition winners will be announced, as selected by Dr. Thalia Vrachopolous. Winners will have their works exhibited at Tenri Cultural Institute, 43A West 13 Street. Friday, April 24, 7pm, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd-floor amphitheater. Admission is free for SVA students, faculty, staff and ATOA members; $7 regular admission; $3 for SVA alumni, non-SVA students and seniors.
- BFA Fine Arts Department Open Studios: An open studios event for sculpture, Monday, April 27, 5 – 9pm, 30 West 17th Street; and painting, Thursday, April 30, 5 – 9pm, 133/141 West 21st Street, 4th and 6th floors. Free and open to the public.
- Spyros Papapetros: A lecture entitled Figure and Frame in German Architecture and Film: From Mies to Murnau by Spyros Papapetros, assistant professor in the School of Architecture and member of the Program in Media and Modernity at Princeton University. Presented by the MFA Design Criticism Department. Tuesday, April 28, 6 – 8pm, 136 West 21st Street, 2nd floor. Free and open to the public. Please RSVP to 212.592.2228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MFA Fine Arts Department Open Studios: An opportunity to see new works by current students in the studio setting. Friday, May 1, 12 – 8pm; Saturday, May 2, 12 – 6pm; Reception: Thursday, April 30, 5 – 9pm. 133/141 West 21st Street, 8th and 9th floors. Free and open to the public.
For a complete list of SVA events, visit sva.edu/events.
Image: Julian Gilbert, Untitled, 2009; from “Mentors.”