In the SVA Galleries:
- LAST CHANCE: “New Art/New York,” an exhibition of painting and collage by students in the BFA Fine Arts Department, curated by Department Chair Emeritus Jeanne Siegel; “Melting into Air,” an exhibition of sculpture and installation by students in the BFA Fine Arts Department, curated by Gary Sherman; and “Mixtape,” an exhibition of prints, painting and collage by SVA students, curated by Gunars Prande. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, through Saturday, February 21.
- “Self-Portrait,” an exhibition of work by students in the MPS Art Therapy Department and the clients with whom they work at their internship sites. Curated by Liz DelliCarpini, internship coordinator, MPS Art Therapy Department. Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, through Saturday, March 21; Reception: Wednesday, March 4, 5 – 7pm.
- “Surface Life,” an exhibition of photography and painting by students and recent graduates featuring works that celebrate beauty in everyday life, curated by Richard Brooks. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street, February 21 – March 10; Reception: Monday, February 23, 5 – 7pm.
Click here for more information about SVA exhibitions.
- Artists Talk on Art Presents: Films on Artists : A panel discussion of video documentaries about the creative process and their role in illuminating an artist’s intent and marketing work. Panelists are Theresa Brynes, painter; Richard Laurent, painter; Andreas Rentsch, photographer; and Michelle Vargas, editor. Kevin O’Hanlon, owner and director of FilmsOnArtists.com, will moderate. Friday, February 20, 7pm, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd-floor amphitheater. Admission is free for SVA students, faculty, staff and ATOA members; $7 regular admission; $3 for SVA alumni, non-SVA students and seniors.
- David Reinfurt: A lecture entitled The First Rule is Always Production, Never Documentation. The Second Rule is There Are No Rules. David Reinfurt is an independent graphic designer, writer and critic. Presented by the MFA Design Criticism Department. Tuesday, February 24, 6 – 8pm, 136 West 21st Street, 2nd floor. Free and open to the public. Please RSVP to 212.592.2228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a complete list of SVA events, visit sva.edu/events.
Image: Rebecca Oehrlein, Kuang II, 2008; from “New Art/New York.”