In the SVA Galleries:
- LAST CHANCE: “Process and Presence,” an exhibition of prints, video and painting by current students that examines the boundaries between representation and abstraction, curated by Richard Brooks. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street, through Saturday, February 14.
- “Self-Portrait,” an exhibition of work by students in the MPS Art Therapy Department and the clients with whom they work at their internship sites. Curated by Liz DelliCarpini, internship coordinator, MPS Art Therapy Department. Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, February 14 – March 21; Reception: Wednesday, March 4, 5 – 7pm.
- “New Art/New York,” an exhibition of painting and collage by students in the BFA Fine Arts Department, curated by Department Chair Emeritus Jeanne Siegel; “Melting into Air,” an exhibition of sculpture and installation by students in the BFA Fine Arts Department, curated by Gary Sherman; and “Printmaking,” an exhibition of prints, painting and collage by SVA students, curated by Gunars Prande. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, through Saturday, February 21.
Click here for more information about SVA exhibitions.
- Artists Talk on Art Presents: Erotic Art or Pornography : A panel discussion of the categorization of erotic art and pornography. The panelists are Vincent Arcilesi, painter; McWillie Chambers, painter; Pet Sylvia, owner of Art-At-Large Gallery; and Carolyn Weltman, artist. Emily Stedman, painter, will moderate. Friday, February 13, 7pm, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd-floor amphitheater. Admission is free for SVA students, faculty, staff and ATOA members; $7 regular admission; $3 for SVA alumni, non-SVA students and seniors.
- Ernesto Bazan: Alumnus Ernesto Bazan (BFA 1982 Photography) is a photographer and educator whose most recent book BazanCuba (BazanPhotos Publishing, 2008) documents the 14 years Bazan lived in and photographed Cuba, capturing a unique time in Cuban history called “The Special Period.” This talk is presented by The Alumni Society of School of Visual Arts. Tuesday, February 17, 7pm, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd-floor amphitheater. Free and open to the public.
- The Modularists: In anticipation of its fall 2009 opening, the MFA Interaction Design Department at SVA presents Dot Dot Dot, a monthly public lecture series exploring interaction design, business and aesthetic inspiration. This month’s speakers are Brendan Dawes, creative director at Magnetic North, UK and Jeff Hoefs, interaction designer for littleBits at Smart Design. Wednesday, February 18, 6:30 – 8:30pm, White Rabbit, 145 Houston Street. Free and open to the public. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a complete list of SVA events, visit sva.edu/events.
Image: Amanda Frena, Back to the Earth, 2008; from “Process and Presence.”