Successful artists tend to put a lot of themselves into their work, but alumnus Kate Gilmore (MFA 2002 Fine Arts) gets physically involved in her art. Gilmore’s video/performance works all feature her as the main character, struggling against her materials and environment—Between a Hard Place features the artist punching and kicking through multiple layers of drywall and plywood; and in Higher Horse, she stands atop a pile of plaster blocks while men with sledgehammers repeatedly strike the precarious platform.
Both of these works are on view in Gilmore’s new self-titled show at Smith-Stewart Gallery (run by Amy Smith-Stewart, a faculty member in the MFA Fine Arts Department), 53 Stanton Street. The exhibition—which is on view through Sunday, January 18, 2009—features three recent video pieces and a site-specific sculpture work that is installed as part of the gallery’s entrance.
Image: Kate Gilmore, still from Higher Horse, 2008; courtesy of the artist and Smith-Stewart Gallery.
- Turns Out, There’s A Bee Species That Sleep In Flowers And It’s As Cute As It Sounds https://t.co/4BgrhbfFjt about 44 minutes ago
- The Images That Could Help Rebuild Notre-Dame Cathedral https://t.co/MNwAFwDTqG about 1 hour ago
- #HappyEaster from #SVA @SVAIllusCart alumni Ellie 엘리 Lee via #SVAPortfolio https://t.co/0sAC6sC6tc https://t.co/G35jamLqfp about 2 hours ago
- RT @prof_scatter: I'm so happy to have my 3-page comic "Karma is a B**CH, isn't it Mr. M?" included in INK anthology this Month! It depic… about 2 hours ago
- #RichardWilde is retiring, but his influence on the graphic design industry and #SVA community is impossible to mea… https://t.co/bpxBQCuShH about 2 hours ago
- RT @tertiaryprocess: SVA Art Therapy Alumnus Julia Volonts Receives A 2019-2020 Fulbright Award - https://t.co/uyrqsQIudB #GoogleAlerts @SV… about 2 hours ago
- Former Boat Builder Sculpts Breathtaking Wooden Bathtubs https://t.co/SwCEz7x72W about 2 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to email@example.com