The November 2008 installment of W magazine is The Art Issue, with several hundred pages focusing on contemporary visual arts. For the .W Art. section, the magazine.s editors commissioned original works from six artists that they consider, .some of the art world.s most exciting talents.. Among those six are two prominent SVA alumni: Elizabeth Peyton (1987 Fine Arts) and Mika Rottenberg (BFA 2001 Fine Arts).
The two artists each contributed new works to W. Peyton, who is best known for her portraits of historical and celebrity figures, painted Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, an oil painting capturing the next First Lady and her daughter in a focused moment of the campaign. Rottenberg crafted an elaborate series of visuals that stretch out across a dozen pages: a series of photographic tableaux that show an elaborate series of surreal environments occupied by subjects ranging from bodybuilders to disembodied arms and legs.
Image: Elizabeth Peyton, Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, 2008 Courtesy the artist and Gavin Brown’s enterprise, New York.
- Richard Avedon’s Unique Photograph to be Featured at Christie’s Upcoming Auction https://t.co/0QFtcWjYzO about 12 hours ago
- RT @AndreaTsurumi: Sign up's open for this summer's SVA Illustration & Visual Storytelling Residency! https://t.co/FHYXj4bW9o Join @aaronme… about 12 hours ago
- Sàn Art is a gallery / program in Vietnam founded by #SVA alumnus Dinh Q Le https://t.co/0EeOw6545I https://t.co/JjzzkcgnsS about 13 hours ago
- Read #SVA faculty Amy Taubin on how Jonathan Demme put an uncompromisingly feminist spin on the crime procedural wi… https://t.co/LiRoWuVDwO about 14 hours ago
- RT @svaixd: "Thesis is due in only a few weeks!" —student @Glendacap in her final semester https://t.co/ESRh0CvTTu about 14 hours ago
- #SVAccepted 👏👏👏 Congrats @chulochanchito 💪💥 https://t.co/jFbS7bkriQ about 14 hours ago
- MFA Fine Arts alumnus David Mramor (aka Enid Ellen) featured in @AnotherMagazine for his activism… https://t.co/Sk0Ag2nBnA about 14 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to firstname.lastname@example.org