The November 2008 installment of W magazine is The Art Issue, with several hundred pages focusing on contemporary visual arts. For the .W Art. section, the magazine.s editors commissioned original works from six artists that they consider, .some of the art world.s most exciting talents.. Among those six are two prominent SVA alumni: Elizabeth Peyton (1987 Fine Arts) and Mika Rottenberg (BFA 2001 Fine Arts).
The two artists each contributed new works to W. Peyton, who is best known for her portraits of historical and celebrity figures, painted Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, an oil painting capturing the next First Lady and her daughter in a focused moment of the campaign. Rottenberg crafted an elaborate series of visuals that stretch out across a dozen pages: a series of photographic tableaux that show an elaborate series of surreal environments occupied by subjects ranging from bodybuilders to disembodied arms and legs.
Image: Elizabeth Peyton, Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, 2008 Courtesy the artist and Gavin Brown’s enterprise, New York.
- Tate acquires vast archive of English surrealist Ithell Colquhoun https://t.co/mrgIYdhmj6 about 3 hours ago
- Latinx and Filipinx Diasporas Unite in a New Exhibition https://t.co/Q3q47W2D9c about 4 hours ago
- What Leonardo da Vinci Couldn’t Finish https://t.co/MDCBLxxpX8 about 5 hours ago
- Who Mows the Lawn at Storm King, New York’s Largest Sculpture Park? https://t.co/0ECLnsRTio about 17 hours ago
- Where Are All the Bob Ross Paintings? We Found Them says the @NYTimes https://t.co/JQGp8qlWep about 18 hours ago
- 8 Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings Have Just Been Named UNESCO World Heritage Sites https://t.co/cZRVnu722e about 19 hours ago
- This Graffiti Artist Stuns Passerby With His 3D-Looking Abstract Drawings https://t.co/aQH9dmA8bm about 20 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to email@example.com