The November 2008 installment of W magazine is The Art Issue, with several hundred pages focusing on contemporary visual arts. For the .W Art. section, the magazine.s editors commissioned original works from six artists that they consider, .some of the art world.s most exciting talents.. Among those six are two prominent SVA alumni: Elizabeth Peyton (1987 Fine Arts) and Mika Rottenberg (BFA 2001 Fine Arts).
The two artists each contributed new works to W. Peyton, who is best known for her portraits of historical and celebrity figures, painted Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, an oil painting capturing the next First Lady and her daughter in a focused moment of the campaign. Rottenberg crafted an elaborate series of visuals that stretch out across a dozen pages: a series of photographic tableaux that show an elaborate series of surreal environments occupied by subjects ranging from bodybuilders to disembodied arms and legs.
Image: Elizabeth Peyton, Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, 2008 Courtesy the artist and Gavin Brown’s enterprise, New York.
- Artist with autism creates Lincoln Financial Field sculpture for Eagles Autism Challenge https://t.co/aVsjJ2qedS about 10 hours ago
- RT @artsy: The backstory to the photo of Eve Babitz and Marcel Duchamp is both tantalizing gossip and crucial cultural history. https://t.… about 11 hours ago
- MOCA receives a $10-million gift to make admission free https://t.co/Dea2YMfT8f about 11 hours ago
- RT @Savageartist: Join me this Saturday, May 25, 11am at @booksaremagicbk for a reading, drawing and SIGNING! ⚠️♿️🚸🚺 @SVA_News @PS39PTA @bb… about 12 hours ago
- Illustrated by #SVA @MFAVN's @nathanfoxy 👇 https://t.co/YGPZcvABAQ about 12 hours ago
- #SVA Alumni Scholarship Award Winner Portrays Growing Up as a Young Woman of Color: "Always remain true to yourself… https://t.co/2x3SpN3yy1 about 12 hours ago
- The Met Gayla Was Queer, Fabulous, and Totally Absurd: A celebration of camp in Brooklyn, via @TheCut, featuring… https://t.co/0ZGFqFaWyI about 12 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to email@example.com