- “A Number of Things,” the second of two thesis exhibitions presenting work by MFA Fine Arts Department students, curated by Carlo McCormick, senior editor, Paper magazine. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, February 29 – March 15; Reception: Tuesday, March 4, 6 – 8pm.
- “Containment,” a multimedia exhibition featuring artwork by current students in the MPS Art Therapy Department and by their clients from internships. This show addresses the idea of “containment”—the creation of a safe, contained space where it is possible to explore painful material. Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, through Saturday, March 22.
- “Testimony to War: Art from the Battlegrounds of Iraq,” an exhibition that brings together the creative output of five emerging and established artists, each of whom has a direct experience of the war in Iraq: Army Major Peter Buotte (BFA 1999 Fine Arts), Army Sergeant Aaron Hughes, embedded artist Steve Mumford (MFA 1994 Fine Arts), embedded photographer Lucian Read and Army Staff Sergeant Ryan Roa. Curated by Francis Di Tommaso, the show will include examples of painting, drawing, sculpture, photography and video representative of the artists’ distinctive bodies of work and of their uniquely personal vantage points of the war. Visual Arts Museum, 209 East 23rd Street, through Saturday, March 8.
- “BFA Advertising and Graphic Design Department Exhibition,” an exhibition featuring work by students in the BFA Advertising and Graphic Design Department; curated by Genevieve Williams. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street, March 19 – April 15; Reception: Thursday, March 27, 6 – 8pm.
- “Kings and Queens,” an exhibition exploring popular or revered figures, generally considered the “kings and queens” of their field, with select works by third-year students in the BFA Illustration and Cartooning Department. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, March 21 – April 5; Reception: Wednesday, March 26, 6 – 8pm.
- “Scaportion,” an exhibition examining scale and proportion, featuring artwork by third-year students in the BFA Interior Design Department. Westside Gallery,
133/141 West 21st Street, March 29 – April 15; Reception: Wednesday, April 2, 5 – 7pm.
Click here for more information about SVA exhibitions.
Image: Elizabeth Cosby, Untitled (detail), 2007; from “A Number of Things.”