Rosson Crow on Interior Spaces, Fashion and the Big Sky of L.A.

March 14, 2016

Rosson Crow (BFA 2004 Fine Arts) uses a variety of processes—paper matte-medium transfer, dyeing, bleaching, acrylic staining, and oil painting—to create spaces of intrigue. The viewer is transported into a misremembered history: lush and dense with details that further obscures the truth or our understanding of it. Last year, for instance, in her solo show Madame Psychosis Holds a Séance at Honor Fraser in Los Angeles, Crow engaged with the events and conspiracy theories surrounding the assassination of John F. Kennedy through the character Madame Psychosis. The film that Crow created as part of this series will be part of a group exhibition later this month at Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Texas. In 2015, goop.com named Crow one of 15 young artists to watch.

Rosson_700Recently Crow’s work was exhibited at the Armory Show in New York by Galerie Nathalie Obadia. SVA Close Up caught up with her to find out about some of her inspirations.

What about painting interior spaces fascinates you?

I have always had a fascination with space: the psychology of space, the history of events that have transpired there, and the ghosts that still remain. I am interested in the way the space can both convey emotion and create an emotional response. My mother was an interior designer, so I think I grew up in a home where interior spaces were highly considered and charged. I find that painting spaces is a powerful way to create an immersive experience for the viewer.

lowresblue1_700How would you describe the relationship your art has with your fashion?

To me, fashion is another way to express oneself, to be creative and have fun. I have done collaborations with designers who are my friends, Jeremy Scott and Zac Posen. Doing collaborative projects with artists from different areas of expertise really allows you to experience your work in new and inspiring ways.

What do you think New York’s influence was on your work? And what has changed living in LA?

Going to school in New York was incredibly valuable, I learned so much about the art world from interning at galleries and assisting artists. The abundance of art and museums there was immensely nourishing to me as an artist. The first paintings of interior spaces that I made were of the period rooms at the MET, one of my favorite places in the world. I find Los Angeles nourishing in other ways; it is much more relaxed and open. I love the sprawl of the city and the car culture around it. Being from Texas, the big sky reminds me of home. I love the movie-set back lots and the facades of a fake historical recreation. The art scene is very interesting here too, there are so many great artists and museums and galleries.

Rosson Crow’s work will be on view in “Highlights from the Permanent Collection” at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth from March 21 through August 21, 2016.