Beat the Winter Blues: Creative Posters Inspire Hope and Wellness

February 17, 2016

Students at SVA have joined forces to create a series of bright and inspiring posters designed to cut through the winter doldrums. This year’s HOPE Competition, sponsored by Student Health and Counseling Services, challenged SVA students to focus on the theme of self-care for college students to maintain a balanced lifestyle. Below is the winning entry, followed by three of our favorites.

pencil735“Meditation over Medication” by MFA Illustration as Visual Essay student David Leutert

“My poster is trying to visualize a way of self-care with the metaphorical symbol of meditation as a means of stress reduction. The pencil makes this concept especially relatable for art students at SVA. The title ‘Take Care’ is custom hand-lettering and shows a ‘T’ as a protective roof above the other letters, therefore endorsing the message about self-care.”

break735“Time to Take a Break” by BFA Computer Art, Computer Animation and Visual Effects student Eunice Lim

“When you love doing something, it’s impossible to stop. Especially in SVA, I see students who work nonstop because they love what they’re learning. They’ll work continuously and forget to eat, sleep and spend some time for themselves. I wanted to show that it’s okay to take a break. This poster was my way of showing that sometimes you need to remember to take care of your body and health even with hectic and busy schedules.”

hard425“Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself” by BFA Design student Yihuang Zhou

“All of us want to be great and we always work hard. But we do need to relax from time to time. We have to take care of ourselves in order to work hard and be better. So I came up with the idea ‘Don’t be so hard on yourself.’ With this in mind, I made this poster using simple shapes indicating the things I would do to relax.”

stretch735“Take a Minute to Take Care” by BFA Illustration student Bari Resnick

“Sometimes the hardest and most important ways to actively ‘self care’ are the simplest. For me staying active and remembering to move, sleeping and giving my body the rest it needs, and treating myself are the most important self-care practices.”

takecare735“Take Care,” the corresponding exhibition of posters by the 10 finalists, is currently on view at the SVA Flatiron Gallery Project Space, 133/141 West 21st Street, New York City, through February 20. In addition, the winning poster will be used to promote Student Health and Counseling Services workshops and will be displayed around campus for the semester. For more information, click here.