‘Make It Here’: SVA’s Inspiring New Subway Posters Celebrate NYC

December 9, 2015

The College’s latest subway poster series celebrates SVA and NYC as hubs of opportunity and potential. Containing the tag line “Make It Here,” the trio of posters designed by BFA Design faculty members Gail Anderson and Joe Newton hit 400 New York City platforms underground this week. Anderson recently joined the Visual Arts Press as its new director of design and digital media.

GailSubway1“I wanted to embrace the SVA/NYC theme using words to create a city—and then I found some black and white Fortunato Depero’s posters that did exactly that,” Anderson told SVA Close Up. “I obviously needed to shift gears a bit, so the SVA posters became more illustrative and colorful. I worked with my design mate, Joe Newton, and our writer friend, Jon Parker, to come up with signs and billboards that would feel both playful and aspirational.” Anthony P. Rhodes, executive vice president of the College, serves as creative director for SVA’s subway poster campaigns.

GailSubway2This isn’t the first time Anderson and Newton have designed subway posters for SVA. In 2012, they created another unforgettable series that featured the partial faces of their colleagues Steven Heller, Debbie Millman and Kevin O’Callaghan, among others. Regarding this new series, Anderson says she’s looking forward to observing the posters in their natural habitat. “I plan to ride the subway a few extra stops tomorrow so I can see the posters in a few stations. I’ll be the weird lady taking pictures of the SVA one-sheets.”

GailSubway3The reach of SVA’s subway posters also extends far beyond New York City. The globetrotting retrospective “Underground Images: School of Visual Arts Subway Posters, 1947 to the Present,” which features over 50 posters spanning nearly 60 years of the College’s iconic advertising campaign, recently opened at the Cork Institute of Technology in Ireland and has been featured in cities around the world, such as Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Marseille, France, Beijing, China and Istanbul, Turkey. For more information, click here.