Meet #SVA2019: Claudia Martinez Cavazos

August 31, 2015

To celebrate orientation week and welcome the incoming class of 2019, SVA Close Up is introducing a few students that have made their way to the College from across the country to study their creative passions. Check back each day this week for a new profile, and follow #SVA2019 on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and our new Instagram account, @svanyc, for more news and updates!

First up is Claudia Martinez Cavazos from San Antonio, Texas, who was drawn to SVA to study animation and follow in the footsteps of alumnus Rebecca Sugar (BFA 2009 Animation).

ClaudiaMartinez200Name: Claudia Martinez Cavazos
Hometown: San Antonio, Texas
Major: BFA Animation

Why did you decide to study animation?
I decided to study animation because it’s the natural path for my art to take. I’ve been drawing characters and writing down story ideas since elementary school but I just never had the technical know-how to bring my ideas to life. I want to hear my characters speak and watch them move and I’m confident my studies at SVA will teach me to do just that.

Who inspires you to create art?
There are A LOT of people that inspire me and the list keeps growing. My biggest personal hero is probably Wenqing Yan, or yuumei, as I know her online. Her art is not only gorgeous, it has purpose—from her Web comic tackling the issues of parental abandonment and environmental destruction to her cyberpunk comic inspired by Occupy Wall Street. Her stuff is more than a pretty page.

Name something that excites you about SVA?
The fact that Rebecca Sugar went here and that all of the student work is AMAZING. Also, Cintiqs!

What are you most looking forward to about living in New York City?
The resources! Museums! Broadway! Ah! New York is such an iconic place, and getting the chance to spend four years in its majesty is just fantastic! I’m most looking forward to studying specimens in the American Museum of Natural History.

What are a few of your favorite animated series?
Growing up my favorites were Batman the Animated Series; Avatar: The Last Airbender; The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy; Ed, Edd, n Eddy; Teen Titans…and those just a few off the top of my head. Right now I can’t get enough of Steven Universe! Also Gravity Falls and Star vs. The Forces of Evil are amazing.