SVA Student to Interview Director Danny Boyle at Academy Theater

March 29, 2013

Current BFA Film, Video and Animation student Matt Hoerl never dreamed that his college experience would include interviewing an Academy Award­­­­–winning director in front of a live audience. But on Thursday, April 4 at the Academy Theater at Lighthouse International, he will do just that when he sits down with Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting), who is in New York City to promote his new film, Trance (watch a trailer below). “I am very honored to have been asked to be a part of this event,” said Hoerl. “Mr. Boyle has been a huge inspiration of mine and I am excited for the opportunity to interview him.”

Boyle will be at the Academy Theater for a screening of his debut feature film, Shallow Grave (1994), after which Hoerl will join him onstage. The pairing almost seems predestined. “I am currently in the process of finishing up my thesis film, which, coincidentally, was influenced by Mr. Boyle’s 28 Days Later,” said Hoerl. Boyle and Hoerl also share a major influence. “Mr. Boyle cites his favorite and most influential film as Francis Ford Coppola’s Apocalypse Now,” said Hoerl. “For me, that was the film that really opened my eyes to how powerful great filmmaking can be. I first saw that movie in a film history class at Winona State University in southern Minnesota. That same month, I applied to SVA and changed career directions from broadcast journalism to film. Mr. Boyle had a very similar experience when he first began, and that is something that I found very interesting.” Add to that Boyle’s extensive, impressive career and this is sure to be a lively discussion.

For more information about this and all events hosted by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, visit Oscars.org.