SVA Alumnus Hye-Ryoung Min Wins 2012 Conscientious Portfolio Competition

December 4, 2012

Alumnus Hye-Ryoung Min (MPS 2009 Digital Photography) recently took a top spot in the 2012 Conscientious Portfolio Competition for Channel 247, a series of photos she shot from her apartment window.

Photographer Robert Lyons, director of the Hartford Photography MFA Program, selected the project for the award. “I first got it down to five different portfolios. But I kept coming back to Hye-Ryoung Min’s, whose work struck me the first time I looked at it, and it has only grown since,” he said. “The images really suggest time beyond the moment of the picture. They are well composed, and each image suggests an interesting situation. The formal aspects seem to hold the group together. Although at first one feels as if these are “surveillance” images—at least by the framing, and by things that obscure the images – one quickly is able to see how they are much more.”

To see more of Hye-Ryoung Min’s work, visit her website. For more info about the Conscientious Portfolio Competition, click here.

• TwitThis
  • Facebook
  • MySpace
  • del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • E-mail this story to a friend!