Victor Kerlow Illustrating ‘Metropolitan Diary’ for NY Times

May 17, 2012

SVA alumnus Victor Kerlow (BFA 2008 Fine Arts) recently began illustrating The New York Times“Metropolitan Diary” column, in which New Yorkers share quotidian stories of life in the city. Kerlow, a life-long Manhattan resident, creates ink and watercolor drawings using the vibrancy of city life as inspiration, and for him, exciting places are only a subway ride away. “I do a lot of drawings of the city in my free time,” he recently told Strathmore Artist Papers. “The combination of pristine and filthy that makes up the city is a quality that I try to incorporate into the ideas and images I draw.”

For over 35 years, the “Metropolitan Diary” has allowed people to share fleeting memories and quirky moments that could only happen in New York. The column stands as an early example of a user-generated feature at the Times, serving as an important indicator of local culture. Dedicated newspaper subscribers can read new entries in print every Monday, and the Times now offers additional stories and interactive features online. To read more entries and see more of Kerlow’s illustrations, visit The New York Times and his website.