Q&A with Alumnus Alonso Homs on Filmmaking, SVA and the Dustys

May 7, 2012

With the 23rd Annual Dusty Film & Animation Festival currently in full swing (through May 9 at the SVA Theatre, 333 West 23 Street), SVA Close Up decided to check in with an alumnus who is quickly making a name for himself in the world of film. Alonso Homs (BFA 2008 Film and Video) has already racked up an impressive list of credits, including work on the new HBO series Girls and the 2010 movie Blue Valentine starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Homs recently took some time out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions for us via email.

What are you currently working on?
I just came back from Australia where I was the Stereographer on Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby. The stereographer is the person responsible for the 3D on set. He/she deals with advising the director, the cinematographer and the rest of the crew on how to use 3D in the best possible way in addition to keeping continuity with the images in terms of depth and volume from shot to shot.

How did your experience at SVA prepare you for what you’re doing today?
At SVA I learned the basics in terms of camera and storytelling, and I learned all I know today about editing and sound equipment. But most importantly, it got me a job. Mark Pederson, who was my teacher at SVA, is the co-owner of Offhollywood, the company I now work for here in New York.

Any memories of the Dustys you’d like to share?
I had a great yet intense time trying to watch every single one of the shorts projected back when I graduated in 2008. It was the first year that we used the SVA Theatre for the Dustys. I remember being shocked by the quality of the projection.

Any advice to aspiring filmmakers/soon-to-be grads?
Yes. Don’t be afraid of just getting a job. If you haven’t figured out your skill set yet (other than Director/DP/Editor) figure that out now and get started. Learn to be an assistant editor or assistant cameraman or a company grip. There is a lot to be learned from just being on set. It takes years, so be patient and think positively and it will eventually pay off—you will eventually transition to your dream job.

Image: Alonso Homs on the set of The Great Gatsby.