Marilyn Minter in ‘Modern Painters’ Magazine

April 12, 2012

Marylin Minter is one of the most accomplished artists of her generation. She has been the subject of solo exhibitions at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; the Center for Contemporary Art, Cincinnati; Les Rencontres d’Arles, France; La Conservera Centro de Arte Contemporáneo, Spain; the Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland; and the Deichtorhallen, Germany. Her work was the cover image for the 2006 Whitney Biennial catalog, and her videos have been exhibited by The Museum of Modern Art, New York, and screened on digital billboards on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles and New York’s Times Square. Minter was also among the invited artists in “The Influentials: SVA Women Alumni Invite Artists Who Have Shaped Their Work,” on view at SVA in the fall of 2011.

Minter also loves to teach. She began teaching art in the 1970s, working her way up through elementary schools into substitute-teaching in high school. In 1986, she joined the faculty at SVA, and she’s been teaching in the MFA Fine Arts Department ever since.

Minter tells Modern Painters, “When you teach graduate students it’s a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I just adore it. I do a special thing, and I don’t know of anyone else who does it. Usually there are no more than nine students, and we bounce around ideas to try to make each student better. I really believe the students learn from their peers more than from someone just coming in. Why should they believe me? I want them to explain their thinking, to make a case for it, if they have to prove to me sometimes that their thinking is better than the consensus.”

Read the full interview in the April print issue of Modern Painters, which is on newsstands now.

Image: A still from Marilyn Minter’s video Pink Green Caviar, 2009. Courtesy of Salon 94.