In the Press: Joe Petruccio in The New York Times

July 11, 2011

Baseball fanatic and SVA alumnus Joe Petruccio (BFA 1980 Advertising and Graphic Design) was featured in The New York Times recently for his unique coverage of the Mets. For the past two seasons, Petruccio has been offering illustrated commentary about the team after every game on his blog My Mets Journal. “I paint all victories in color, all losses in black and white,” he told the Times. “I don’t like wasting my time on the losses.”

But Petruccio’s connection to the Mets extends far beyond his cartoon chronicles. When he was a young art director in the 1980s, the team chose him to create a new uniform design for them. “They looked old and fat in those pinstriped uniforms they were wearing,” he said. “I created a uniform that was more tapered and had a racing stripe down the side that gave it more of a sleek look.” And the Mets just so happened to be wearing that uniform when they won the World Series in 1986. “I felt like I had a little piece of that championship,” Petruccio said.

To find out more about Petruccio, including his ties to Elvis Presley, Muhammad Ali, and Frank Sinatra, read the full article at The New York Times.

Image: The New York Times Web site.