Supporting International Students at SVA

April 27, 2011

SVA’s Office of Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS), in collaboration with the International Student Office (ISO), has been offering ongoing support services for international students at the College. Since the fall 2010 semester, SHCS has held a bi-weekly support group for international students who are adjusting to life in the United States, in New York City and at SVA, and convened a special session after the earthquake in Japan to support Japanese students and alumni affected by those tragic events.

The groups are facilitated by Navah Steiner, a licensed creative arts therapist and psychotherapist at SHCS, and Monique Yi-Chieh Wu, an intern from New York University’s drama therapy program (Wu is an international graduate student from Taiwan and brings her personal perspective on the issues that students face when coming to study in the US). One participant, MFA Computer Art Department student Kurt Young, wrote about his experience in the group: “I found this group to be most helpful for me; you really helped me to speak out what’s on my mind. I also learned a lot about Americans during our conversation in group, and what’s more important is that I met my best friend here. To me this group is not only helpful to my life but also inspiring to my work.” For more information on SHCS services, contact [email protected]; for more information on ISO services, contact [email protected].

Image: Youngjin Noh, Untitled, 2011.