In The Press: Village Voice Comics Issue

April 12, 2011

The April 6 – 12 issue of the free NYC weekly The Village Voice was billed at its Comics Issue, showcasing a cover done to look like an classic comic book cover, an eight-page feature about the state of the comics industry and illustrations throughout the newspaper done by contemporary comics talents. The main feature has contributions from faculty members Jessica Abel (CE), Matt Madden (CE) and Mark Newgarden (BFA Illustration and Cartooning Department); also included in the issue is work by alumni Adam Kidder (MFA 2006 Illustration as Visual Essay), John McConnell (BFA 1984 Media Arts) and Rich Tu (MFA 2009 Illustration as Visual Essay).

Discussing the difficulties of earning a living doing comics work, Abel says that being a busy illustrator isn’t a clear-cut good thing: “It’s not all stuff that pays. Like the website for [her and Matt Madden’s Drawing Words and Writing Pictures book] doesn’t pay anything. I want to do it, I enjoy doing it, it’s valuable in many, many ways. But it doesn’t pay me a cent. And I spend a lot of time doing that,” she says, adding that labors of love are important to pursue as any of them, “might turn into something great.”