In The Press: Shai Kremer in The Jewish Chronicle

April 28, 2011

The Jewish Chronicle recently ran a feature on alumnus Shai Kremer (MFA 2006 Photography, Video and Related Media), identifying him as a “photographer to watch.” The article traces Kremer’s career following his graduation from SVA and describes his work as, “not for the faint hearted.” Kremer’s strong political views are apparent in his photographs, which he insists are, “not anti-Israel but anti the policy of its government.”

The photographer’s “Fallen Empires” series, which took four years to complete and is currently exhibiting at London’s James Hyman Photography, looks at different empires throughout history that have tried—and failed—to conquer the land of Israel. His upcoming project focuses on the outskirts of New York City, explaining that it, “reflects my social and environmental concerns and my personal story of an immigrant coming to the ‘promised land.’ It is very different to the kibbutz I was brought up on, surrounded by nature, so I’m looking at the city from outside in.”

Image: Shai Kremer, Shivta, Water Tanks, 2009. Courtesy of the artist.