Art Directors Club Hall of Fame 2011

April 8, 2011

Each year, the Art Directors Club (ADC) inducts new members into its Hall of Fame, recognizing, “those innovators who have made significant contributions to art direction and visual communications, and whose lifetime achievements represent the highest standards of creative excellence.” This year’s laureates include MFA Illustration as Visual Essay Department Chair Marshall Arisman, who in addition to more than four decades as an educator has produced painting and illustration work that has appeared around the world in museums, galleries, newspapers and magazines. “Exactly how I’ve lasted 46 years as a teacher I don’t know,” he says with a laugh. “But there is no question in my mind that my experience at SVA has been a major part of my life. The exchange of the energy and the creative process with the students has been constantly valuable. I’m very pleased with this honor because it is in the field of education, which means a lot to me.”

Arisman’s fellow inductees are art director Ruth Ansel, Wieden + Kennedy Executive Creative Director John Jay (who has taught in the BFA Advertising and Graphic Design Department) and filmmaker Joe Pytka. In addition, the ADC has announced that Museum of Modern Art, New York, curator and SVA faculty member Paola Antonelli (MFA Design Criticism and MFA Products of Design Departments) is the winner of the 2011 Manship Medallion, which recognizes curatorial excellence. Both Arisman and Antonelli will be formally honored by the ADC at its Hall of Fame Benefit Gala, taking place Thursday, November 10, in New York City.

Image: Photo of Marshall Arisman courtesy of the Art Directors Club.

Older

Newer

04/07/2011
VFX at SVA

04/11/2011
Ziggy Livnat’s New Year’s Resolution