Charles H. Traub at Gitterman Gallery

February 10, 2011

Early work from MFA Photography, Video and Related Media Department Chair Charles H. Traub is being presented in “Object of My Creation: Photographs 1967-1970” at Gitterman Gallery, 170 East 75th Street, February 17 – April 23. The show collects photographs from Traub’s time in college and graduate school and during key mentorships with Ralph Eugene Meatyard and Aaron Siskind. “When these pictures were made, I was still in my salad days,” says Traub. “Nature was the supposed alternative to the material pursuits and the junkyard of suburbia, but from my service experience I knew all too well the vicissitudes of its wrath. The darkroom was safer than the tent.”

In conjunction with the exhibition, Gitterman Gallery is publishing a monograph of the work, Object of My Creation, which Traub will be signing at an opening reception on Wednesday, February 16, 6 – 8pm. The following weekend, he will also be giving a free lecture entitled Still Life in America at B&H Photo, 420 Ninth Avenue, on Sunday, February 20, 1pm; admission is free, but seating is limited and reservations are recommended.

Image: Charles H.  Traub, Illinois, 1969. Copyright Charles H. Traub, courtesy Gitterman Gallery.