Carla Diana’s MAD Residency

January 13, 2011

The Museum of Arts and Design (MAD) Open Studios program gives visitors a chance to get a behind-the-scenes view of  the artistic practice. One of the artists involved this year is MFA Interaction Design Department faculty member Carla Diana, who is showcasing interaction work in progress every Friday through the end of February 2011. In her blog postings in conjunction with her residency experience, Diana describes the development and discussions she has shared with visitors:

“Today was a very interesting day in the sense that the topic of ‘functionality’ came up in different conversations with people. As an industrial designer I am trained to make products that work. Making a beautiful product that works is even better, but what about making a beautiful product that serves no function?… This is what is really great about working in the Open Studios. There is instant feedback on what you are doing and interaction with people from other disciplines I find very fruitful. It makes you think. And although I still do not have a clear answer if a product designer is allowed to at will design non-functional products, I really enjoy the path I am on.”