Forge Ahead

July 26, 2010

Since it opened in the fall of 2009, the SVA Theatre has housed major New York premiere screenings and festivals. Beginning Tuesday, July 27, the venue will screen films for the New York International Latino Film Festival (NYILFF), including Forged, a film written and directed by alumnus William Wedig (BFA 2006 Film and Video). The film will be shown on Saturday, July 31, 5pm, at the SVA Theatre, 333 West 23rd Street; and again on Sunday, August 1, 5pm, at Clearview Chelsea Cinemas, 260 West 23rd Street. Tickets are available on the NYILFF Web site.

Wedig spoke with the Briefs about his film and the festival.

Tell me about Forged.
Forged follows Chuco on his quest to redeem himself after committing a horrific sin—the murder of his wife. After Chuco’s release from prison, his now 13-year-old, abused and homeless son, Machito, seeks him out and promises to kill him. As Chuco’s guilt and Machito’s need for a father take hold, they must both find a way to move past impossible circumstances to try and forge a bond that has been forever broken.

You worked with Manny Perez, the co-writer of the screenplay, on a previous film. Did the idea for Forged arise out of that meeting?
One of the most interesting things about Forged is how closely it’s connected with our last project, La Soga, which Josh Crook directed and I post-supervised. But the best thing about it is the fact that while La Soga is a big fun, action film shot in the Dominican Republic, Forged is a cold, isolated and quiet film that’s really about characters and this overriding tension. When I had my script and I was getting the funding together, we approached Manny to play the lead and he loved the script. From there it became an amazing collaboration, trading ideas, throwing things out, just trying to find the pieces that all fit.

Why did you decide to enter the film into the New York International Latino Film Festival?
The NYILFF is a great festival! I’ve worked on other films that have been there and had friends who have had wonderful experiences. We had screened it for the founder, Calixto Chinchilla, and we’re really thankful he gave us this platform to show the film. The fact that we get to screen at the SVA Theatre only adds to excitement. For me, it’s sort of like coming home to be premiering my first big film at a a venue associated with SVA. It’s a really great feeling all around!