A Winning Silhouette

August 7, 2009

Each year, the Angelo Donghia Foundation awards scholarships of up to $30,000 to select students entering their senior year in interior design programs around the country. A panel of industry experts selected Sarah Schwartz, who is about to begin her final year in the BFA Interior Design Department, as one of this year’s 14 recipients. This marks the second year in a row that an SVA student has received the Donghia scholarship, and she is the fifth member of her department to be recognized since the award was initiated. Schwartz spoke to the Briefs this week about the scholarship competition and her winning project.

How did you come to win the Donghia Foundation Scholarship?
My instructor Ken San Felippo chose me to apply for it—you have to be chosen to enter. I had to send in an essay and my resume, and I had to submit one project. I chose a project I had just finished for finals: a design for a restaurant in Chelsea that I called Silhouette.

What sort of impact does this have on you and your work in interior design?
It’s gigantic. The judges for the scholarship include designers and editors of major industry magazines. So not only is it money for school, but it’s also recognition in the field before I even graduate.

What have you been working on this summer?
My wedding! Now we’re going to England, and because I won this we can actually go on a honeymoon.

Image: Sarah Schwartz, Bar View of Silhouette, 2009.