Arts Abroad: Painting in Barcelona

July 9, 2009

One in a series of occasional dispatches from SVA’s Summer Arts Abroad programs. This dispatch was sent by painter and Summer Arts Abroad student Jonathan Beer.

Hola from Barcelona! Barcelona is such a fantastic place, especially for an artist and young person—the inspiration is endless. From visiting Antoni Gaudi’s architectural masterwork Sagrada Familia, to seeing the clean lines of Joan Miró’s paintings at the Miró Foundation and the early works of Pablo Picasso, it is a pleasure to work in such a culturally rich city.

Between spending time in the studio and seeing the sights, I’ve been trying to distill part of Barcelona into my work with the help of our instructors. Drawing and painting from life has proved to be my main focus while here—which is a departure from my normal personal work. I find that the characters here—tourists and locals alike that frequent the many café’s and restaurants—very captivating, and I have focused on capturing the overall atmosphere in my work. The images here show some of what I have been working on during the past couple of days.

Images: Jonathan Beer, 2009.

Older

Newer

07/08/2009
Summer Session: Farrell Brickhouse

07/10/2009
Mapping Identity