Summer Residency: Drawing Out

June 11, 2009

One in a series of occasional dispatches from Aimée van Drimmelen, an emerging artist and illustrator from Montréal, Canada, who is taking part in SVA’s Summer Residency Program in illustration.

I used to be shy about drawing in public, but now I see it as setting a good example. I started “drawing out” more often a year ago—in the park, at the bar, at parties, etc. There’s something good about scribbling on one knee while balancing a pallet on the other and sacrificing your drinking water to rinse brushes. When our painting/drawing instructor Greg Crane he said we’d be doing exclusively location work I got pretty excited. He took us to see his current show, an amazing 30-year retrospective of landscape drawings at the Cheryl Pelavin gallery in Tribeca [13 Jay Street], and then we found some benches and started drawing. We’ll be drawing in several Brooklyn neighbourhoods (his specialty) over the next four sessions.

Later in the evening my residency-mate Kate and I went to Williamsburg’s 3rd Ward [195 Morgan Avenue] to check out their weekly live model Drink’N’Draw (I was curious as a D&D organizer in Montreal). These sketches took between two and 10 minutes and are drawn with a dropper, ink and water.

Cheers to drawing out,
Aimée van Drimmelen

Images: Drawings by Aimée van Drimmelen, 2009.

Older

Newer

06/10/2009
Animation Achievement

06/12/2009
Arresting Developments