Stress Tests

May 18, 2009

These can be stressful times for college students, but it’s also an opportunity for students to find ways to help one another. To help with pressures from exams, jobs or just general stress, mtvU (in partnership with the Jed Foundation) launched a new online resource called Half of Us and has invited current BFA Fine Arts Department student Rebecca Wilson to be a part of the project. “They videotaped me showing the way I would paint to release stress. I created paintings on camera,” says Wilson. “They had me wearing headphones while I painted since music helps relieve stress for me.”

Visitors to halfofus.com can find numerous videos about managing stress from college students (click here to view Wilson’s video, which features her painting in an SVA studio along to the Asher Roth hit La Di Da) and celebrities, along with public service videos depicting common challenges faced by college students and ways they can get help. The site also features pages on specific topics like depression and eating disorders, ways to offer help to stressed friends and a toll-free number to find local resources.

Image: Rebecca Wilson, Spring Rain, 2009.

Older

Newer

05/15/2009
Back When

05/19/2009
In The Press: Areej Khan on NY1 and CNN