- Artists Talk on Art Presents: Paul Brach Remembered: An evening dedicated to the memory of Paul Brach, the celebrated and highly influential artist, teacher and founding dean of Cal Arts. Participants include Connie Fox, artist and teacher; Bill King, artist and former president, National Academy of Design; and Allan Hacklin, artist and professor of art. Molly Barnes, art dealer and radio personality, will moderate. Friday, December 5, 7pm, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd-floor amphitheater. Admission is free for SVA students, faculty, staff and ATOA members; $7 regular admission; $3 for SVA alumni, non-SVA students and seniors.
- BFA Fine Arts Open Studios: Sculpture, 30 West 17th Street: Saturday, December 6, 12 – 6pm; Sunday, December 7, 12 – 6pm; Monday, December 8, 5 – 9pm; Reception: Monday, December 8, 5 – 9pm. Painting and video, 133/141 West 21st Street, 4th, 5th and 6th floors: Thursday, December 11, 5 – 9pm; Reception: Thursday, December 11, 5 – 9pm. All open studios events are free and open to the public.
- Chee Pearlman: Designing the Live Content Experience: Chee Pearlman, director of the editorial and curatorial design consultancy Chee Company, has written for Newsweek, Travel + Leisure, Popular Science and The New York Times and is the former editor-in-chief of I.D. magazine. Presented by the MFA Design Criticism Department. Tuesday, December 9, 6pm, 136 West 21st Street, 2nd floor. Free and open to the public. Seating is limited at this venue; please RSVP to 212.592.2228 or [email protected].
- Family Sculpting: Internationally recognized family therapist Peggy Papp will demonstrate “family sculpting,” a therapeutic technique she developed in which family members position themselves and each other in a tableau that represents family roles and interactions. The therapist then helps them to construct a more harmonious picture. For this presentation, the audience will be invited to participate in the living sculpture. Presented by the MPS Art Therapy Department. Tuesday, December 9, 6:30pm, 133/141 West 21st Street, Room 101C. Free and open to the public; please RSVP to 212.592.2610 or [email protected].
- MFA Fine Arts Open Studios: Thursday, December 11, 5 – 9pm; Friday, December 12, 12 – 8pm; Saturday, December 13, 12 – 6pm; Reception: Thursday, December 11, 5 – 9pm. 133/144 West 21st Street, 8th and 9th floors. Free and open to the public.
- W.J.T. Mitchell: The Future of the Image: Scholar and theorist of media, art and literature W.J.T. Mitchell will discuss the work of Jacques Ranciere, a contemporary French philosopher whose writings on the relationship between contemporary art and politics have garnered much attention in the art world. Mitchell is a well-known figure in the fields of visual culture and iconology, a professor of English and art history at the University of Chicago and the editor of the interdisciplinary journal Critical Inquiry. Presented by the MFA Art Criticism and Writing Department. Thursday, December 11, 7pm, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd-floor amphitheater. Free and open to the public.
For a complete list of SVA events, visit sva.edu/events.