Successful artists tend to put a lot of themselves into their work, but alumnus Kate Gilmore (MFA 2002 Fine Arts) gets physically involved in her art. Gilmore’s video/performance works all feature her as the main character, struggling against her materials and environment—Between a Hard Place features the artist punching and kicking through multiple layers of drywall and plywood; and in Higher Horse, she stands atop a pile of plaster blocks while men with sledgehammers repeatedly strike the precarious platform.
Both of these works are on view in Gilmore’s new self-titled show at Smith-Stewart Gallery (run by Amy Smith-Stewart, a faculty member in the MFA Fine Arts Department), 53 Stanton Street. The exhibition—which is on view through Sunday, January 18, 2009—features three recent video pieces and a site-specific sculpture work that is installed as part of the gallery’s entrance.
Image: Kate Gilmore, still from Higher Horse, 2008; courtesy of the artist and Smith-Stewart Gallery.
- A Photographer’s Moving Record of Lesbian Activism in the 1970s https://t.co/vNEwo0AZba https://t.co/nD6svP4o9p about 31 minutes ago
- RT @SVAContinuingEd: Confronting Mass Extinction with Poignant, Intimate Portraits of Animals https://t.co/6TXXbnOLtT https://t.co/CV1LOj01… about 46 minutes ago
- RT @socdoc: programmed by #SocDoc alum Olga Lvoff - Don't miss the screenings, talks, events at Russian Documentary Film Festival in New Yo… about 46 minutes ago
- The Striking Election-Season Billboards That Are Also Art - including #SVA faculty Carrie Mae Weems and… https://t.co/6k9h5C0qES about 1 hour ago
- Another piece @latimes: #SkateKitchen or die: Meet the NYC all-women collective empowering and inspiring with their… https://t.co/dcsxx6xVV8 about 1 hour ago in reply to SVA_News
- RT @artwritingSVA: #DegreeCritical looks back to a piece of writing about what it means to be home. On the Road: Cardiff and Miller’s The M… about 1 hour ago
- Check out this great, in-depth DP30 interview with Crystal about @skatekitchen which is available on Blu-Ray and VO… https://t.co/XvJpngmckd about 1 hour ago in reply to SVA_News
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]