Successful artists tend to put a lot of themselves into their work, but alumnus Kate Gilmore (MFA 2002 Fine Arts) gets physically involved in her art. Gilmore’s video/performance works all feature her as the main character, struggling against her materials and environment—Between a Hard Place features the artist punching and kicking through multiple layers of drywall and plywood; and in Higher Horse, she stands atop a pile of plaster blocks while men with sledgehammers repeatedly strike the precarious platform.
Both of these works are on view in Gilmore’s new self-titled show at Smith-Stewart Gallery (run by Amy Smith-Stewart, a faculty member in the MFA Fine Arts Department), 53 Stanton Street. The exhibition—which is on view through Sunday, January 18, 2009—features three recent video pieces and a site-specific sculpture work that is installed as part of the gallery’s entrance.
Image: Kate Gilmore, still from Higher Horse, 2008; courtesy of the artist and Smith-Stewart Gallery.
- RT @artsy: Arts-focused field trips may boost standardized test scores, new research finds: https://t.co/HIoQ32up95 https://t.co/VqGbCBdKx5 about 9 hours ago
- RT @SVATypeLab: Latest obsession: The Herb Lubalin Study Center and Readymag have launched ‘Lubalin 100’—a site of “100 things over 100 day… about 12 hours ago
- RT @artsy: Why the art market’s simplest form of transparency fell out of favor: https://t.co/eLXb5udGPF https://t.co/Gm4djMozH3 about 12 hours ago
- RT @SVADigitalPhoto: Artist talk by Jane Hammond, who has spent over a decade creating a surreal series of photographic collages, as part o… about 13 hours ago
- RT @SVAMFADesign: Catch up with designer Darren Melchiorre MFAD'07 https://t.co/7br7hmTwMZ @RoticDesign @SVAalumni #AlumniSpotlight @SVA_Ne… about 13 hours ago
- The Albertina opens a large-scale exhibition of works by #SVA's #KeithHaring https://t.co/mUoNrXTgaM about 14 hours ago
- It looks like #Banksy has returned to NYC. https://t.co/QBqpnsuDgE via @hyperallergic about 15 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]