A new public-art project by alumnus Dylan Mortimer (MFA 2006 Fine Arts) has been turning heads in New York City this month. Through the city’s Art in the Parks program, the artist installed a pair of “prayer booths” near the entrance to the Roosevelt Island tram in Manhattan, inviting passers-by to kneel in the phone booth-like stalls for prayer and reflection. Modeled on typical metropolitan phone booths, the wryly designed prayer booths have inspired much discussion amongst the public and the press: Mortimer’s project has garnered stories in the New York Post and Newsday, and in the national media.
“This is a way to talk about prayer in the public sphere—but with a bit of humor,” Mortimer told the Post. In addition to the NYC prayer booths, the artist has installed similar works in Jackson, Tennessee; and Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The project is the latest in a line of religious-themed work by Mortimer, who also serves as a minister at the River City Community Church in Kansas City, Missouri.
Image: Dylan Mortimer, Prayer Booth, 2003.
- RT @artsy: Arts-focused field trips may boost standardized test scores, new research finds: https://t.co/HIoQ32up95 https://t.co/VqGbCBdKx5 about 9 hours ago
- RT @SVATypeLab: Latest obsession: The Herb Lubalin Study Center and Readymag have launched ‘Lubalin 100’—a site of “100 things over 100 day… about 12 hours ago
- RT @artsy: Why the art market’s simplest form of transparency fell out of favor: https://t.co/eLXb5udGPF https://t.co/Gm4djMozH3 about 12 hours ago
- RT @SVADigitalPhoto: Artist talk by Jane Hammond, who has spent over a decade creating a surreal series of photographic collages, as part o… about 13 hours ago
- RT @SVAMFADesign: Catch up with designer Darren Melchiorre MFAD'07 https://t.co/7br7hmTwMZ @RoticDesign @SVAalumni #AlumniSpotlight @SVA_Ne… about 13 hours ago
- The Albertina opens a large-scale exhibition of works by #SVA's #KeithHaring https://t.co/mUoNrXTgaM about 14 hours ago
- It looks like #Banksy has returned to NYC. https://t.co/QBqpnsuDgE via @hyperallergic about 15 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]