Two seniors in the BFA Advertising and Graphic Design Department, Victoria Abrami and Krzysztof Piatkowski, are bringing a class project to the streets of New York. Hope: Give Yours features a bright yellow box that is popping up around the city, with a request that people write down their hopes and deposit them. The contributions will be used as part of work that the students are doing at local homeless shelters and soup kitchens. They’re being mentored in this project by faculty member and alumnus Lara McCormick (MFA 2007 Design), who has also applied her design skills to community service-oriented projects.
According to the artists, offering hope to those in need is important because, “there are a vast number of resources in New York City for those seeking food and shelter, [but] love and motivation are hard to come by.” The next scheduled Hope location is Lower Manhattan’s Foley Square, located between Centre and Lafayette Streets, on Friday, November 14, from 12 noon – 5pm. In addition, submissions of text, photography, video or other media can be sent online at any time to [email protected].
- RT @artsy: Arts-focused field trips may boost standardized test scores, new research finds: https://t.co/HIoQ32up95 https://t.co/VqGbCBdKx5 about 5 hours ago
- RT @SVATypeLab: Latest obsession: The Herb Lubalin Study Center and Readymag have launched ‘Lubalin 100’—a site of “100 things over 100 day… about 8 hours ago
- RT @artsy: Why the art market’s simplest form of transparency fell out of favor: https://t.co/eLXb5udGPF https://t.co/Gm4djMozH3 about 8 hours ago
- RT @SVADigitalPhoto: Artist talk by Jane Hammond, who has spent over a decade creating a surreal series of photographic collages, as part o… about 9 hours ago
- RT @SVAMFADesign: Catch up with designer Darren Melchiorre MFAD'07 https://t.co/7br7hmTwMZ @RoticDesign @SVAalumni #AlumniSpotlight @SVA_Ne… about 9 hours ago
- The Albertina opens a large-scale exhibition of works by #SVA's #KeithHaring https://t.co/mUoNrXTgaM about 10 hours ago
- It looks like #Banksy has returned to NYC. https://t.co/QBqpnsuDgE via @hyperallergic about 11 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]