The November 2008 installment of W magazine is The Art Issue, with several hundred pages focusing on contemporary visual arts. For the .W Art. section, the magazine.s editors commissioned original works from six artists that they consider, .some of the art world.s most exciting talents.. Among those six are two prominent SVA alumni: Elizabeth Peyton (1987 Fine Arts) and Mika Rottenberg (BFA 2001 Fine Arts).
The two artists each contributed new works to W. Peyton, who is best known for her portraits of historical and celebrity figures, painted Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, an oil painting capturing the next First Lady and her daughter in a focused moment of the campaign. Rottenberg crafted an elaborate series of visuals that stretch out across a dozen pages: a series of photographic tableaux that show an elaborate series of surreal environments occupied by subjects ranging from bodybuilders to disembodied arms and legs.
Image: Elizabeth Peyton, Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, 2008 Courtesy the artist and Gavin Brown’s enterprise, New York.
- RT @stevebrodner: One of the best things about our upcoming Art as Witness Show at SVA Chelsea Gallery (opening Oct. 11 6-8) is the catalog… about 3 hours ago
- RT @Savageartist: On bookstore shelves 2/12/19. @HolidayHouseBks @NealPorterBooks @SVA_News @SVAMFAILLUSTRAT @SVALibrary @SVAIllusCart @bbo… about 3 hours ago
- The Frick Likely to Take Over the Met Breuer https://t.co/5EOW2U27yI about 3 hours ago
- Artist Brings Inanimate Objects to Life as Funny and Mischievous Characters https://t.co/E79ZZoKzBo about 4 hours ago
- RT @heyjenbartel: Meow 😼✍🏼 https://t.co/fVrCHgX25W about 5 hours ago
- RT @KatrinEismann: Golden hope in the morning...admittedly I wish that the Empire State Building was better centered. Have I just ruined th… about 5 hours ago
- RT @artwritingSVA: To the Pit of Things—Wrap up the week with this piece by alumnus @ColinEdgington, about three concurrent exhibitions of… about 5 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]