The November 2008 installment of W magazine is The Art Issue, with several hundred pages focusing on contemporary visual arts. For the .W Art. section, the magazine.s editors commissioned original works from six artists that they consider, .some of the art world.s most exciting talents.. Among those six are two prominent SVA alumni: Elizabeth Peyton (1987 Fine Arts) and Mika Rottenberg (BFA 2001 Fine Arts).
The two artists each contributed new works to W. Peyton, who is best known for her portraits of historical and celebrity figures, painted Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, an oil painting capturing the next First Lady and her daughter in a focused moment of the campaign. Rottenberg crafted an elaborate series of visuals that stretch out across a dozen pages: a series of photographic tableaux that show an elaborate series of surreal environments occupied by subjects ranging from bodybuilders to disembodied arms and legs.
Image: Elizabeth Peyton, Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, 2008 Courtesy the artist and Gavin Brown’s enterprise, New York.
- New Technology Enables Astoundingly Accurate Artwork Reproductions https://t.co/WoaBjFwLwm about 10 hours ago
- RT @smartinbrough: #RepostSave - It's official! Celebrating AfroLatinidad #LaBorinqueña is part of the 7th Annual @SchomburgCenter #BlackCo… about 10 hours ago
- Smithsonian Adds Gallery Honoring Latino-American Culture https://t.co/bMFOMjL8hI about 14 hours ago
- The art thriving in the most heavily bombed country in history https://t.co/NIS9VMrlBC about 15 hours ago
- My Memories of Watching Roz Chast Draw in Junior High https://t.co/vk5PAcyL9O about 15 hours ago
- The 15 Best Gifts for Artists and Art Lovers https://t.co/zzT3UakRLx about 15 hours ago
- Female artists emerge from shadow cast by Berlin Wall https://t.co/Ed3qSRCj0L about 16 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]