The November 2008 installment of W magazine is The Art Issue, with several hundred pages focusing on contemporary visual arts. For the .W Art. section, the magazine.s editors commissioned original works from six artists that they consider, .some of the art world.s most exciting talents.. Among those six are two prominent SVA alumni: Elizabeth Peyton (1987 Fine Arts) and Mika Rottenberg (BFA 2001 Fine Arts).
The two artists each contributed new works to W. Peyton, who is best known for her portraits of historical and celebrity figures, painted Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, an oil painting capturing the next First Lady and her daughter in a focused moment of the campaign. Rottenberg crafted an elaborate series of visuals that stretch out across a dozen pages: a series of photographic tableaux that show an elaborate series of surreal environments occupied by subjects ranging from bodybuilders to disembodied arms and legs.
Image: Elizabeth Peyton, Michelle and Sasha Obama Listening to Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention August 2008, 2008 Courtesy the artist and Gavin Brown’s enterprise, New York.
- Watch the first trailer for #SkateKitchen from director and #SVA alum @CrystalMoselle (BFA 2010 Film and Video).… https://t.co/TwrOPNPank about 30 minutes ago
- [email protected]: A Workshop to Help Artists Sell Their Work featuring #SVA alum and workshop speaker Dana James (BF… https://t.co/mGJyM2bf5v about 43 minutes ago
- RT @daniel_zender: I made some bootleg shirts and patches and they are available here: https://t.co/sOX74caxCn https://t.co/OPupC3JPEE about 49 minutes ago
- RT @ToddRadom: #NationalSelfieDay https://t.co/SrUsitKnNk about 1 hour ago
- We have exciting updates from faculty members Natalya Balnova and Viktor Koen. https://t.co/Le1IQ0RFW5 about 1 hour ago
- Reinventing themselves and resisting Nazi occupation: the French surrealists Claude Cahun and her lover Marcel Moor… https://t.co/BKvbovubbW about 1 hour ago
- RT @ToddRadom: Something for everyone in there-thanks, Megan! https://t.co/1y7PaYppEn about 2 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]