- Artists Talk on Art presents: Friday, April 25, In Dialog: Sal Romano and Joan Marder: This dialog between sculptor Sal Romano and writer Joan Marder will look at the artist’s life and works; and Friday, May 2, MTA Arts for Transit: Art Along the Way: Focusing on bringing successful public art to subway stations, artists Jane Dickson, Daniel Hauben and Jean Shin will discuss the process behind their recent MTA Arts for Transit commissions. Amy Hausmann, assistant director of Arts for Transit, will moderate. ATOA events take place at 7pm in the Amphitheater, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd floor. Admission is free for SVA students, faculty, staff and ATOA members; $7 regular admission; $3 for SVA alumni, non-SVA students and seniors.
- BFA Interior Design Department Thesis Exhibition, an exhibition featuring thesis projects by BFA Interior Design Department students. The National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South, April 22 – 28.
- MFA Computer Art Department Thesis Presentations: A presentation of thesis projects by students in the MFA Computer Art Department, featuring experimental linear video, networked media, video and visual music installation, experimental non-narrative and narrative 3D animation, and interactive installation and performance. April 28 & 30 – May 2, 7 – 9:30pm, Amphitheater, 209 East 23rd Street, 3rd floor. Free and open to the public. For presentation schedule, call 212.592.2532 or visit mfaca.sva.edu.
- Fresh Meat: Student club Cartoon Allies presents its annual mini-comic convention, featuring students’ original comic books and other cartooning creations for sale on Friday, May 2, 6 – 10pm, Monkey Bar Lounge, 217 East 23rd Street. Admission is free.
- MPS Art Therapy Department Thesis Presentations: Students in the MPS Art Therapy Department will present their thesis work. Monday, May 5, 9am – 3pm, National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South.
- 19th Annual Dusty Film and Animation Festival and Awards: A showcase of over 100 films by students graduating from the BFA Film, Video and Animation Department. The program includes five days of screenings of short films, videos and animations; a screenwriters night, where professional actors read excerpts of screenplays by graduating seniors; and an awards ceremony and after party with notable presenters from the film industry. Film and Animation Festival: May 5 – 9; Awards Ceremony and After Party: Monday, May 12. Visual Arts Theater, 333 West 23rd Street. For schedule information or to get tickets to the awards ceremony, contact 212.592.2124 or visit www.sva.edu/dusty.
- Continuing Education Open Houses: Fine Arts: Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Printmaking and Jewelry (Tuesday, May 6, 133/141 West 21st Street, room 602C); Photography (Wednesday, May 7, 214 East 21st Street, room 206A); Graphic Design (Monday, May 12, 209 East 23rd Street, room 311); Film, Video and Animation (Wednesday, May 14, 209 East 23rd Street, room 502); Illustration and Cartooning (Wednesday, May 14, 209 East 23rd Street, room 311); Advertising (Tuesday, May 15, 209 East 23rd Street, room 502); Computer Art (Tuesday, May 13, 133/141 West 21st Street, room 301C); Courses in Spanish (Thursday, May 15, 209 East 23rd Street, room 311). All open houses are from 6:30 – 8:30pm and are free and open to the public.
- Motion Graphics Screening: An annual event offering a first look at work by New York’s next generation of digital video innovators, presented by the BFA Advertising and Graphic Design Department. In a collection of experimental shorts created by graduating seniors in the Digital Video program, students test the limits of type to move off the page and into time and space. Thursday, May 8, 6pm, Walter Reade Theater, 165 West 65th Street. Free and open to the public. To attend, call 212.592.2372.
- MFA Photography, Video and Related Media Department Thesis Screenings: A program of thesis videos by students in the MFA Photography, Video and Related Media Department, including experimental, narrative and documentary works. May 10 – 11, 7pm, Visual Arts Theater, 333 West 23rd Street. For more info, visit mfaphoto.schoolofvisualarts.edu.
Click here for more SVA events.