- LAST CHANCE: “Super Phat,” a multimedia exhibition that highlights the work of Japanese SVA alumni and alumni living in Japan. Working in a variety of media, more than 40 established and emerging artists explore how their exposure to Japanese and American cultures has informed their work. Curated by Marshall Arisman, Reà Sato and Retsu Takahashi; organized by Elaine Chow. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, through Saturday, September 29.
- “Click Chic: The Fine Art of Fashion Photography,” an exhibition documenting the vitality of fashion photography as a vehicle for creative expression, formal experimentation and social commentary. On view will be nearly 50 images by six SVA alumni who have created distinctive bodies of work in fashion: Roderick Angle, Guy Aroch, Maki Kawakita, Ryan Michael Kelly, Chiun-Kai Shih and Sarah Silver; curated by Dan Halm. Visual Arts Museum, 209 East 23rd Street, through Saturday, October 6.
- “Body Modifications,” an exhibition showcasing works by recent graduates of the BFA Fine Arts Department, curated by Jeanne Siegel; “Architectural Spaces,” an exhibition showcasing sculptural installations with an architectural reference by recent graduates of the BFA Fine Arts Department, curated by Gary Sherman; and “Sculpture,” an exhibition showcasing works by BFA Fine Arts Department students and recent graduates, curated by Andrew Ginzel. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, October 5 – 20; Reception: Tuesday, October 9, 6 – 8pm.
- “Prime Time,” an exhibition of work by students in the BFA Fine Arts and BFA Interior Design Departments and the Honors Program. Curated by department chairs Suzanne Anker, Tom Huhn and Jane Smith. Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, September 29 – October 20; Reception: Wednesday, October 3, 5 – 7pm.
- “The Masters Series: Steven Heller,” an exhibition that highlights the inspiration and collaboration behind Steven Heller’s many achievements as a writer and art director. Heller is the author, co-author or editor of over 100 books on graphic design, illustration and political art, was an art director at The New York Times for 33 years and is a columnist for The New York Times Book Review. He is also the co-founder and co-chair of the MFA Design Department and co-founder of the MFA Design Criticism Department at SVA. Visual Arts Museum, 209 East 23rd Street, October 22 – December 1; Reception: Monday, October 22, 6 – 8pm; Heller in Conversation with Michael Bierut: Tuesday, October 23, 7pm.
Click here for more information about SVA exhibitions.
Image: Kimihiko Nagase, 00002, 2003; from “Super Phat.”