- LAST CHANCE: “Fresh Crop: Design Entrepreneurs,” an exhibition of socially and environmentally aware products developed by 19 students graduating from the MFA Design Department, curated by Dorothy Twining Globus; and “Selected Works from MFA Illustration as Visual Essay Thesis Projects,” an exhibition curated by faculty member David Sandlin, featuring thesis projects by 16 MFA Illustration as Visual Essay Department students. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, through Saturday, May 19.
- LAST CHANCE: “The Artist’s Hand,” a BFA Computer Art Department exhibition featuring undergraduate senior thesis projects in computer animation, visual effects and broadcast design, curated by Stuart Cudlitz. Individual projects will illustrate the key stages of the development process, from concept to final rendered image. Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, through Saturday, May 19.
- LAST CHANCE: “Serious Fun: Real Issues at Play,” an exhibition of work by first-year MFA Design Department students, whose toy designs explore the fine line between play and social and political commentary. Curated by Kevin O’Callaghan, this hypothetical toy store features playthings that consider topics such as wiretapping, separation of church and state, gender roles, body image, global warming and terrorism. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street, through Friday, May 25.
- “Plane Sight,” an exhibition of work by current students and recent graduates, exploring highly individualized approaches to painting and illustration. Curated by Richard Brooks, assistant director of student galleries, the artists include Elizabeth Cosby, Matthew Freel, Felix Gephart and Shiri Mordechay. Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, May 29 – June 23; Reception: Wednesday, May 30, 5 – 7pm.
- “View,” an exhibition featuring photography and video work by students exploring a diverse range of subjects, including childhood memory, perception and social commentary. Artists include Cat del Buono, Alejandra Lavida, Adi Lavy and Ho Shing Ming. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street, June 2 – 23, Reception: Monday, June 4, 5 – 7pm.
Click here for more information about SVA exhibitions.
Image: Hannah Kim, Untitled, 2007; from “Selected Works from MFA Illustration as Visual Essay Thesis Projects.”