- LAST CHANCE: “Location as Character,” an exhibition of selected works by third-year BFA Illustration and Cartooning Department students, based on imaginary or actual locations used in historical and fictional narratives. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, through Saturday, April 28.
- LAST CHANCE: Foundation Exhibition, showcasing selected works by students completing their first year of studies. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street (photography and sculpture) and Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street (sculpture), through Saturday, April 28.
- “Fresh Crop: Design Entrepreneurs,” an exhibition of socially and environmentally aware products developed by 19 students graduating from the MFA Design Department, curated by Dorothy Twining Globus; and “Selected Works from MFA Illustration as Visual Essay Thesis Projects,” an exhibition curated by faculty member David Sandlin, featuring thesis projects by 16 MFA Illustration as Visual Essay Department students. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, May 4 – 19; Reception: Tuesday, May 8, 6 – 8pm.
- “The Artist’s Hand,” a BFA Computer Art Department exhibition featuring undergraduate senior thesis projects in computer animation, visual effects and broadcast design, curated by Stuart Cudlitz. Individual projects will illustrate the key stages of the development process, from concept to final rendered image. Westside Gallery, 133/141 West 21st Street, May 5 – 19; Reception/Portfolio Night: Monday, May 7, 6 – 8pm (students will be present to show and discuss their work). There will be an encore screening at the Walter Reade Theatre, 165 West 65th Street, on Wednesday, May 9, 7 – 10pm.
- “Serious Fun: Real Issues at Play,” an exhibition of work by first-year MFA Design Department students, whose toy designs explore the fine line between play and social and political commentary. Curated by Kevin O’Callaghan, students were tasked with making a statement about social issues in the language of children’s toys, producing a hypothetical toy store. SVA Gallery, 209 East 23rd Street, May 7 – 25; Reception: Tuesday, May 15, 6 – 8pm.
Click here for more information about SVA exhibitions.
Image: Charice Silverman, Diet Coke, 2007; from “Selected Works from MFA Illustration as Visual Essay Thesis Projects.”