- “John Gundelfinger: In Memoriam (1937 – 1991),” a retrospective exhibition featuring over 70 paintings, illustrations, drawings and collages from this longtime SVA instructor. Visual Arts Museum, 209 East 23rd Street, through Saturday, October 8.
- “Inner Visions,” selected works from BFA Interior Design Department students, curated by Lovejoy Duryea and Richard Spokowski. Westside Gallery, 141 West 21st Street, through Saturday, October 22.
- “Emerging Artists in the New, New York World,” selected works from recent graduates and advanced seniors from the BFA Fine Arts Department, curated by Jeanne Siegel; and “Short Stories,” a BFA Fine Arts Department printmaking exhibition, curated by Gunars Prande. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, through Saturday, October 15.
- “First Light: Teaching Photography in Kabul,” an exhibition of photographs by Afghan students from Kabul University. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, October 21 – November 12; Reception: Tuesday, October 25, 6 – 8pm; Benefit fundraiser: Wednesday, November 9, 6 – 9pm.
- “Bad Dog, Bad, Bad Dog,” and exhibition of selected works from BFA Photography Department recent graduates, curated by Stephen Frailey; “Lizzie Leigh Horan,” a solo exhibition featuring the work of BFA Photography recent graduate Lizzie Leigh Horan, curated by Gerry Vezzuso; and “Person, Place or Thing,” a solo exhibition featuring the work of BFA Photgraphy recent graduate Peter Hoang, curated by Billy Sullivan. Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street, 15th floor, October 21 – November 12; Reception: Tuesday, October 25, 6 – 8pm.
- “The Masters Series: Heinz Edelmann,” over 100 posters, screen prints, magazine spreads, book designs, animations and comic books by this year’s recipient of the Masters Series Award. Visual Arts Museum, 209 East 23rd Street, October 24 – December 3; Reception: Monday, October 24, 6 – 8pm; Lecture: Tuesday, October 25, 6pm, Amphitheater, 3rd floor.
- “ClearRxSM: From Master’s Thesis to Medicine Cabinet,” an exhibition that follows MFA Design alumna Deborah Adler’s three-year journey from initial concept to redesign the prescription bottle and label, to her partnership with Target and the launch of ClearRxSM in May 2005. Westside Gallery, 141 West 21st Street, October 29 – November 23; Reception: Thursday, November 3, 5:30 – 8pm.
Click here for more information on SVA exhibitions.
Image: Samiullah Nahipook, Untitled, 2005; from “First Light: Teaching Photography in Kabul.”