- Darkness and Light, featuring new media installations by six MFA computer art students, will be on view at the Westside Gallery, 141 West 21 Street, from May 24 through June 10. The exhibition includes digital audio, interactive digital video and new media sculpture. A reception for the artists will be held on May 28 from 5 to 7pm.
- All academic and administrative offices will close at 1pm on Friday, May 23, and remain closed on Monday, May 26, in observance of Memorial Day.
- Each Friday, starting May 30 and continuing through the summer, all SVA academic and administrative offices will close at 4pm.
- The Visual Arts Briefs will begin its summer schedule, publishing a new issue every two weeks. The next issue will be available June 6.
All academic and administrative offices will close at 1pm on May 23 and will remain closed on May 26 in observance of Memorial Day.
Personal Effects, featuring the work of MFA fine arts student Keren Golan and MFA photography & related media student Jasmine Lee, will be on view at the Eastside Gallery, 214 East 21 Street, from May 17 – June 18. The reception will be held May 22, from 5 to 7pm.
Image: Jasmine Lee, Slippers, 2003.
May 12: Congratulations SVA graduates. The 2003 Commencement ceremony will take place in Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center. Nearly 2,500 people are expected to attend the ceremony.
May 13 -15: The Division of Continuing Education will host numerous open houses for a variety of disciplines. For more information, contact the office directly at 212.592.2050.
- Interior Design, 6:30 – 8:30pm, 141 West 21 Street, Room 1105C
- Computer Art, 6:30 – 8:30pm, 141 West 21 Street, Room 301C
- Photography, 6:30 – 8:30pm, 209 East 23 Street, Room 311
- Art Therapy, 6:30 – 8:30pm, 132 West 21 Street, Room 303E
- Film, Video, Animation & Cinema Studies, 6:30 – 8:30pm, 209 East 23 Street, Room 502
- Illustration & Cartooning, 6:30 – 8:30pm, 209 East 23 Street, Room 502
Art Brewer, “the elder statesman of surf photography” (Photo
District News), will present his work on May 15 at 6:30pm in the SVA Amphitheater, 209 East 23 Street. Mr. Brewer will also sign copies of his monograph Masters of Surf Photography: Art Brewer. Admission is $6, free to Camera Club of New York members and SVA students, faculty, and staff. Photo ID required for entry. This event is sponsored by the Camera Club of New York and the BFA Photography Department.
Image: Art Brewer, Kelly Slater at Hollow Trees, 1994