Steve Ditko, co-creator of the Amazing Spiderman comic book character, attended the Cartoonists & Illustrator’s School–the College’s previous incarnation–in the early fifties. Then he worked at Marvel alongside the legendary Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
Lee-Kirby-Ditko cut a swath through the industry. The advent of the Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, the Hulk and Dr. Strange, plus character after character that live on today, had their their geneses in the minds of these three individuals. Without Lee’s scripting, Ditko’s characters may have ended up as harsh and unforgiving as his later work, but it was the tension between two successful styles that created the hybrid known as The Amazing Spider-Man. The voice is Lee’s but the look and feel of the nerd is Ditko’s. For more information, visit the Steve Ditko web site.
- Jean Curran’s dye-transfer prints from film stills, and a stop-time movie by Catherine Opie, continue the 60-year-o… https://t.co/sXLuJKHNFd about 8 minutes ago
- Top 100 Sculptors of 2018 on Instagram https://t.co/ZtRHPMtpft about 1 hour ago
- #SVA Alum Elizabeth Peyton will have a solo show at the National Portrait Gallery (@NPGLondon), London in October 2… https://t.co/XFhi4dIkXL about 19 hours ago
- #SVA faculty, designer, podcaster @DebbieMillman talks to acclaimed illustrator, artist and author Christoph Nieman… https://t.co/XtJkocIY7n about 20 hours ago
- #SVA Subway Series: @JuliaRothman Says Protest Is Art [Video] https://t.co/r8YXKcekJA about 20 hours ago
- RT @SVAMFADesign: Application Deadline: January 15th 2019. Find out more about our program @ https://t.co/mJMnoZQAuv #design @SVA_News #ent… about 20 hours ago
- Check out an interview with @SVADSI chair Cheryl Heller about social design. https://t.co/lxmZzctC1o https://t.co/qiQD9aTi6Z about 21 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]