Steve Ditko, co-creator of the Amazing Spiderman comic book character, attended the Cartoonists & Illustrator’s School–the College’s previous incarnation–in the early fifties. Then he worked at Marvel alongside the legendary Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
Lee-Kirby-Ditko cut a swath through the industry. The advent of the Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, the Hulk and Dr. Strange, plus character after character that live on today, had their their geneses in the minds of these three individuals. Without Lee’s scripting, Ditko’s characters may have ended up as harsh and unforgiving as his later work, but it was the tension between two successful styles that created the hybrid known as The Amazing Spider-Man. The voice is Lee’s but the look and feel of the nerd is Ditko’s. For more information, visit the Steve Ditko web site.
- "Never sit and wait for the phone to ring": @99u Q&A with design icon and SVA faculty @louisefili… https://t.co/3kR4HxevsE about 23 minutes ago
- RT @yukoart: My 1st illustration job was from @villagevoice (AD: Minh Uong) for #LynnYaeger's style column in 2002. Sad to see print editio… about 1 hour ago
- RT @hyperallergic: Thinking about continuing education in the arts? Check out @SVA_News's info sessions, coming up soon: https://t.co/eKHOn… about 1 hour ago
- RT @MirkoIlicCorp: Marshall Arisman's "From Dark to Light" retrospective opens @SVAgalleries tonight. See you there. More here: https://t.c… about 20 hours ago
- RT @SVAgalleries: Please join us tonight 6-8pm to celebrate with the artist at the reception for "Marshall Arisman: An Artist’s Jour… https… about 20 hours ago
- [email protected]_AdvDesign student Jose Neves wins top prizes at 2017 @typedirectors Club Awards https://t.co/PO63OziAiu https://t.co/j3e9OxHN4r about 20 hours ago
- [email protected] on SVA's @penelopeumbrico and her "radical views on consumer culture" https://t.co/wXb4f2H23O cc:… https://t.co/3UkwnVJil1 about 21 hours ago
Send stories, links and tips to [email protected]